Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Asus Eee PC 1000HE Netbook: First Impression Review

Introduction
After reviewing a good handful of Netbooks currently available, I eventually decided to purchase the Asus Eee PC 1000HE. I felt that it was the best value out there -- providing the features I wanted with excellent battery life. Granted, the array of features with Netbooks is pretty limited. Bluetooth support, Express Card slot, size, and battery life are the main differentiators. The 1000HE has Bluetooth support and excellent battery life, but does not have an Express card slot (which doesn't matter to me). Overall size for the 10" screen Netbooks is a bit larger than the others, but this is partly due to the larger battery. I felt this makes up for the slightly larger size.

This review is more about my experience and impression with the product and not so much on the actual specs. The latter are easy to find online.

First Impression: The Shipping Box
I was lucky enough to be home when the FedEx delivery man arrived (good thing because there has been a package delivery theft issue going on in my neighborhood lately). This thing is tiny. By "thing" I am referring to the box FedEx handed me. I have handled Netbooks before and knew it was small, but it was still shocking nonetheless.


The box the 1000HE came in (bottom). My Thinkpad Z61t and a 2.5" external USB hard drive are included for size reference.

First Impression: The Product Box + Contents
After opening up the shipping box, I was present with an only slightly smaller Asus product box. After opening that, the 1000HE was sitting at top enclosed in a protective sleeve.


1000HE Product Box

All contents were packed and presented nicely.


The 1000HE is sitting on top in a protective sleeve.


Other box contents (1000HE removed). The protective case Asus provided (top) is a decent Neoprene case, better than I expected.


Everything that came in the box!
Top row: 1000HE, zippered neoprene case, power cord, power adapter. Bottom row: battery pack, user guide & other docs, drivers/utils CD (ironic since there is no drive in the Netbook), polishing cloth for the shiny finish of the 1000HE, Warranty form

First Impression: The Netbook
Man it's tiny. I knew it was thicker than other Netbooks, but let's be clear: "thicker" does not equal "thick". My Thinkpad Z61t is actually a bit thinner, but I don't care to be honest. The finish on the outside is glossy and actually has a bit of a "speckle" effect like a 70s ski boat, which looks great. It's not really noticeable more than about a foot away from the Netbook. The lid opens without requiring a closure release and has good feel. When closing the lid, the last inch or so subtly snaps closed, which is nice. Overall, the build quality of this Netbook is very good. It is very solid with little to no flex.


Fresh out of the box! (spots are artifacts from the photo)


Size comparison with Thinkpad Z61t (bottom) and 2.5" USB hard drive (top)


There is a protective film over the screen bezel. There was also a protective sheet between the keyboard and the screen which I removed for this photo.

Keyboard & Track Pad
The keyboard is the "chiclet" style that is becoming more popular, and is found on many Sony Vaio notebooks. The keys have good feel and throw and it is easy to type on. The keyboard as a whole has some slight flex to it, but it is minor and not something that should affect a purchase decision. The track pad is much larger than most Netbooks I reviewed, which was one reason I leaned towards purchasing the 1000HE. The buttons are also separate, which I prefer. The buttons have solid throw and a very clear "click" to them. I would probably say that they are a bit too hard to press for my preferences. I tend to do tapping on trackpads anyhow, so this doesn't bother me too much.


Full shot of the keyboard and track pad. The track pad is pretty much the normal size of a notebook track pad, not a tiny one like some other Netbooks are coming with. Right shift key is small, but is placed correctly and I have no issues with it whatsoever. My only issue with the keyboard is probably the requirement to use the Fn (function) key to do home/end and page up/page down. I use those a lot along with Ctrl to navigate through documents and code, so having to press Fn is a bit annoying. They did include two Fn keys, though -- one on the left and one by the arrow keys.


Closeup of the track pad and buttons.


Fancypants shot of the keyboard.


Power Adaptor
The power adaptor is nice and small and has a very long cord and a velcro strip for bundling the cord.

General Speed/Performance
I've been installing & configuring things for the last two hours and it's very snappy. You wouldn't know it's only an Intel Atom processor. I had the default 1GB of RAM installed for most of the setup and just recently swapped it out with the 2GB chip I purchased. It ran just fine with the 1GB and I don't think the upgrade is necessary for most people. I've now installed a WAMP (Windows-Apache-MySQL-PHP) dev environment on the Netbook, which is why I wanted the 2GB. It runs great -- faster than my desktop actually! You CAN dev on a Netbook (as long as you can deal with the smaller keyboard).

Webcam
The webcam is surprisingly good quality! Great color reproduction. Refresh seems fast for a web cam. As soon as it was turned on the picture was good (no "warm up" time for contrast or color was required as with some lower-quality webcams). Skype comes preinstalled but I upgraded it to the latest version. Did a test call with a friend using video and audio. Sounded and looked great, video was smooth on both ends.

Speakers
Speakers actually sound pretty good. They're small (for obvious reasons), but the sound quality is better than I expected.

Wireless LAN + NIC
No problems getting online with my WPA-enabled access point. The 1000HE uses the built-in Windows XP wireless management software instead of custom software, which I prefer (the less software running, the better). Tested out the wired LAN as well, no issues.

Summary
This is a great Netbook! Highly recommended.
Overall, I'd rate it about 4.7 out of 5.
Points lost for mouse buttons, glossy finish (looks good but requires cleaning). I'm nitpicking here, this Netbook rocks.

2 comments:

Brett Nordquist said...

Very informative review. You covered the parts I care about most. Been looking at the Asus and MSI models. A friend just bought the MSI and now you write a great review of the Asus. I'm going to check both out. Thanks for a great review.

Travitron said...

I have used the Samsung NC10 too, and it's very nice -- but pretty much the same specs as the 1000HE but less battery life and it costs more. Samsung also just released the N110 (link), which seems to just be an upgraded NC10 -- but with more battery life. It may have as good or better battery life compared to the 1000HE, but still costs more...